When planning a vacation, the first thing that most people think about is the destination itself. Second only to that, the thing that really makes or breaks a getaway is the accommodations. It sets the tone for the whole trip. You want someplace that provides comfort, relaxation, and a sense of well-being — someplace you’ll enjoy coming back to at the end of a busy day, or relaxing and spending the whole day in. If privacy, space, and a home-like setting are on your wish list, a private villa might be the perfect option. And it’s not just for the rich and famous. Here’s what you need to know:
What is a villa?
When you think of a villa you probably imagine a grand house on a large estate nestled in the rolling hills of Tuscany. And while a villa certainly can mean this Italian “Under the Tuscan Sun” dream, villas have become much more flexible, diverse, and unique.
[Photo Credit: Shaun Gehring via Unsplash]
Initially, the term “villa” was used in ancient Rome to describe an upper-class country house. Someplace luxurious and sprawling where ancient Romans went to get away from it all. Since then the term villa has evolved, ranging from small farming compounds to magnificent mansions on private islands.
At its core, a villa is a detached house with plenty of space between you and your neighbors. It can range from a cozy and intimate 1-2 bedroom cottage to large estates that can accommodate 20 or more.
[Photo Credit: Pradidpong via Unsplash]
Why Should You Rent A Villa?
Villas are available pretty much anywhere in the world — the Caribbean, Europe, the US, Mexico and more. They come in different shapes and sizes but they all offer privacy, comfort, and a sense of home. In the Caribbean, it’s very common for the villa to come with staff like cooks or housekeepers, but in other places around the world, it’s easy enough to add them on if you want to.
You can join everyone in the dining room for a delicious breakfast. Then head out to the back deck to enjoy a sun lounger and a good book by your private pool. After spending the morning snorkeling on the nearby beach and exploring the local side of town, you can enjoy a peaceful and relaxing afternoon without other people’s screaming children. You can listen to your friends laughing as they whip up margaritas in the kitchen and then join them for a snack without fear that your sun lounger will be poached by someone else. In the evening you can watch a stunning sunset streaking over the ocean from the deck, before heading into the huge living room to sit on the comfy sofas and play games with the whole group laughing late into the night.
Top 5 Reasons to Rent a Villa
- Whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it – A villa lets you be master of your own vacation schedule without any restraints
- Privacy & Seclusion – No stress from crowds or queues. A secluded villa allows you to unplug, unwind, and enjoy the company of your friends/family without the intrusion of other vacation goers.
- Hotel-like amenities all to yourself! – Many villas come with private pools, spas, and gyms! Everything you love about a hotel or resort, and it’s all yours.
- Space – Most hotel rooms have just enough space for two adults. Villas offer everyone a private room, plus comfortable living spaces to gather and enjoy being together without feeling on top of each other
- Price– Even the most upscale villas can be more cost-effective than renting multiple hotel rooms. Families, reunions, or even just a couple of couples- the price per person often works out to be equal to a nice hotel or resort.
Top Tips When Renting A Villa
- Be sure you know what kind of vacation you want. If your idea of relaxing is curling up with a good book, make sure the villa has plenty of nooks where you can get some time to yourself! If you plan to do a lot of cooking, make sure the kitchen is big enough for everyone to roll up their sleeves and help out.
- What are your staffing needs? Do you want to cook or would you rather have a personal chef? Do you want housekeeping every day? A butler? A bartender? A driver? The possibilities are endless!
- Choose your group wisely – make sure your expectations are the same and you know that spending a week together under one roof is a good idea!
- Always think about the specific bedding arrangements that you need, not just the number of bedrooms. Married couples don’t usually want twin beds, and no one wants to get stuck with the bunk bed room.
- Be clear on location- How far out in the country will you be? Will you need a car to get into town? Is it actually on the beach or is there a road down to the sand?
- See if the villa allows pets and children. Oftentimes villas can accommodate pets, letting you take your furry family member with you instead of paying for boarding.
- Remember that many properties have one-week minimums and rent Saturday to Saturday.
- Plan well in advance so that we can help you get the exact kind of villa you’re looking for with all the amenities you want!
Villas provide more than just a place to sleep while you’re on vacation. They provide a unique backdrop for your getaway, combining an exciting new setting with all the comforts of a home. And in the time of COVID, they provide a safety bubble where you can enjoy a vacation without the concern of being around large groups. No matter what your destination, there’s a perfect villa waiting for you! Let us know and we’ll help you find the perfect size, location, and price for your home away from home.