Given the chance, we’d all love to travel in luxury, with the most comfortable, memorable, and unique experiences possible. But many of us struggle to strike the balance between luxury travel and reasonable spending. We don’t all have a never-ending budget to indulge in every luxury available. So how do you decide which luxury travel splurges are worth it? Consider if it will save you time, make you more comfortable, or improve your experience. Here’s our list of top travel splurges that we think are worth every penny:
Splurges to Increase Your Comfort
1. Airport lounges– If you have a long layover, buy a day pass for the airport lounge. Enjoy some comfy chairs, free food, and drinks, and wait in a relaxed style. Alternatively, for an even lengthier layover, book an airport hotel to grab a couple of hours of sleep and a shower. If you happen to be spending one of your valuable vacation days in the airport, it’s worth treating it like part of the fun. Plus, indulging in some pampering at the airport will start your trip with a sense of relaxation and comfort.
2. Business Class – For those long flights, try upgrading to Business Class. More leg-room and seat space will ensure you catch some sleep and land in your new destination with a spring in your step. Plus, you’ll enjoy upgraded meals, drinks, and amenities while you’re on board.
Pro-Tip: If you’d rather book just one leg in Business Class, make it the overnight flight so you can sleep comfortably. ( Usually the one to Europe or home from Hawaii)
3. A Room with a view- If you’re staying more than a few days in one location, your hotel room becomes a big part of your vacation! On a cruise ship with a small cabin, at a beautiful beach resort, or in the heart of the city, a stunning view — or maybe even a private balcony or terrace — is worth the splurge. After a long day of exploring, you’ll return each night to a lovely space where you can enjoy a glass of wine and toast to your adventure.
Pro-Tip: If the bigger room is just a bit too much for the entire trip, split your stay between two hotels. Start in the more budget hotel, then end your trip in luxury with a more expensive suite.
4. Book the hotel a day early – Is your plane landing in the wee hours of the morning? Most hotels have late-afternoon check-in times, and it’s no fun to have to kill the day waiting to get into a room. However, if you want to go straight to your hotel room for a shower, a soft pillow, and a fresh change of clothes, book your hotel starting the night prior so you can get right in. No need to wait around!
Splurges to Save You Time
Time is your most valuable commodity on vacation! Anything that lets you spend more time enjoying your adventure, experiencing the destination, or relaxing on the beach is worth the extra expense.
5. TSA precheck – Not stressing about waiting in line at the airport can save you so much time and energy. You won’t need to worry if you’ll make it to the plane in time. Or spend the first part of your adventure waiting in a long line. For smooth, easy, and fast comfort, consider one of the many ways to fast-track airport security.
6. Airport to Hotel Transfer – When you finally arrive at your destination, you’re often a bit tired, disoriented, and ready for a shower. Navigating public transportation in this state is no way to start your journey, certainly. Splurging on a private transfer is well worth it. Walk into the Arrivals Hall, look for the driver holding a sign with your name on it, and off you go. Confident secure, and at ease.
7. Skip-the-line passes – What if you are finally in Paris for your big Parisian adventure and so excited to see it all, but you only have a few days? Spending hours outside the Louvre, just waiting to get inside is not ideal, for instance. Getting a skip-the-line pass for major sites maximizes your efficiency. And leaves you more time to explore the rest of the city!
8. Private Driver –Splurging on a private driver for the day will save you time and enhance your experience. There’s no better intro to a destination than having a knowledgeable local take you to all the best places. Especially if you’re visiting several towns close together, like the Amalfi Coast. Sure, you could probably navigate the multiple trains and busses, but having someone to take you to each spot is well worth the cost.
Travel Splurges to Enhance Your Experience
9. Once-in-a-lifetime experiences – Unique experiences that you can’t have anywhere else are expensive for a reason. You’re not going to have another chance to do them. So take that helicopter ride over Hawaii or dine inside a volcano in Iceland. It will be a memory that you keep forever, the highlight of your trip, what you always tell people about, and what you’ll never regret doing.
10. Professional photos – This is one of those great travel splurges if you are traveling with a group or on your honeymoon! Having a professional follow you around for an hour or an afternoon will give you travel photos like you never knew you could have. Almost certainly, they’ll end up being your favorite vacation photos. And if you’re in a group, it means having everyone in the pictures. Instead of always missing one person or having a poorly taken every-one-is-blinking photo by passing strangers, consider this splurge.
11. Small group tours – The best thing about using a tour guide is getting context for your surroundings. Even if you have a guidebook, a knowledgeable local guide offers something more. There is often a history, some little details, or folk-lore stories that only a local guide can tell you. But it can be hard to hear that story amid a big tour group. And, feeling like cattle as you are shepherded from one spot to another adds more negatives than positives to the adventure. Having a small or private group not only saves time (no waiting for stragglers), but it also allows you to ask questions and get individual attention. It gives you the sense of a friend showing you their hometown.
12. Amazing meals– Food is an important and unique part of every culture. Even if you don’t consider yourself a “foodie”, enjoying a good meal will make you smile. Learn about the culture through the food and bring home a taste memory to talk about for years.
Pro Tip: If you are in love with a specific high-end restaurant, but not the price tag, make a reservation for lunch instead of dinner
Are you ready to add a touch of luxury to your next adventure? Let us know! We’re always excited to help you decide which extra details and travel splurges will lift your adventure to the next level!